Applies to all card types:
- All adults wishing to register for a new library card must bring with them a their driver's license or photo ID and proof of current Monticello address.
- These forms of identification include, but are not limited to, driver’s license, utility bills, mail, or voter’s registration card.
- All children may be issued their own library card upon entering the first grade. Children under the age of 18 must have a parent signature on any initial application for a library card. Children may use the proof of residency provided by their parent.
- There is a fee of $1.00 to replace all damaged, destroyed, lost, or stolen library cards.
Monticello Township Resident Cards:
- Residents residing in Monticello Township are entitled to a library card without charge as they pay taxes to support the library.
- Resident cards are valid in all Illinois Heartland Library System libraries.
- Resident Library cards are renewed every 2 years without additional fees provided the library card holder continues to reside within Monticello Township and is a patron in good standing.
- Property owners owning property in Monticello Township are entitled to one card per parcel of land as they pay taxes to support the library.
- Property owner cards are valid in all Illinois Heartland Library System libraries.
- Property Owner Cards must be renewed every year without additional fees provided the library card holder continues to own property within Monticello Township and is a patron in good standing. Patrons are required to bring in their driver's license or photo ID and current tax bill every year to renew.
- Anyone who does not live in a taxing district for library service must pay a non-resident fee
- Non-resident annual fees are determined by calculating the library tax the non-resident borrower’s property would be assessed if it were located in Monticello Township. The cost for Non-resident property owners will be the assessed taxable value multiplied by .001856. Non-resident renters will pay 18.56% of their monthly rent as the annual non-resident fee.
- Non-Resident Cards are valid in all Illinois Heartland Library System libraries.
- Non-Resident Cards are valid for one year from the date of purchase. Patrons are required to bring in their driver's license or photo ID and current tax bill every year to renew.
Monticello Township Property Owner Card:
Unserved Non- Resident Card:
The Online Catalog is both a searchable Catalog and a Login Terminal for Patron Library Accounts.
How do I find/request/renew books online?
- LOGIN to your library account using your library card 14 digit barcode and password ( passwords are usually the last 4 digits of your phone number from your original library card request).
- Use the "Search" option to find books by author, subject, title, etc.
- Request a hold using the "Request" button on the left side of an item page.
- Renew titles by finding the tab "My Account" and selecting "Items Out". Checkmark the box to the left of titles to renew and then scroll to the bottom and select "Renew Selected Items." Only active, non-expired cards have the ability for online renewal.
How do I checkout digital books?
- Two Online Libraries and one Digital Magazine Collection are available to Allerton Public Library Patrons.
- Directions, links and tutorials are available at eBooks.
- Please contact the library (217) 762-4676 with any questions about accessing digital materials.
How do I use the online databases?
- The online databases can be accessed in the menu on the left side of the Allerton Public Library Online Catalog. Databases require Patron login using an Allerton Public Library card number
Do you have more information about the online catalog and SHARE?
Do you have a brochure about the library?
Where do I find tax forms?
Can I make copies at the Library?
- A self-service copier is available to all persons during regular library hours. Those needing assistance with the copier should ask for help at the Circulation Desk.
- We ask that users of the copier be considerate to others. If anyone else is waiting to use the copier, please confine yourself to making 20 copies.
- The copy fees are $.15 per side for BW and $1.00 per side for Color. Please pay for copies at the copy machine using nickels, dimes, quarters, dollar bills and five dollar bills.
- U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code) prohibits the unauthorized reproduction or distribution of copyrighted materials, except as permitted by the principles of “fair use.” Users may not copy or distribute electronic materials (including electronic mail, text, images, programs, or data) without the explicit permission of the copyright holder. Any responsibility for any consequences of copyright infringement lies with the user. The library expressly disclaims any liability of responsibility resulting for such use.
Is there a fax at the Library?
- The library’s fax machine number is (217) 762-2021.
- The cost of a fax transmission is $1.00 for each page sent or received within the continental United States. Outside the continental United States, telephone and operator charges will be added to the cost of the transmission.
How do I rent a room at the Library?
- Allerton Public Library District does not have private rooms or spaces for rent. All study areas in the main library are on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Can I use a computer at the Library?
- Allerton Public Library District has six (6) Patron Terminals for general use, two (2) OPAC Terminals for access to the online catalog ONLY, and one (1) Express Email Station available for 15 minutes.
- Patron Terminals are available for use for 2 hours per 24 period per person (does not have to be consecutive 2 hours)
- Persons wishing to use the Patron Terminals and Express Email Station MUST HAVE a valid library card and enter the card number at the terminal.
- OPAC terminals do not require a Library Card.
- Timing software on each Patron Terminal and the Express Terminal keeps track of patron usage.
- Books, CDs and Magazines circulate for 3 weeks with a $0.10 fine for each day overdue.
- DVDs circulate for 7 days with a $1 per title fine for each day overdue. No renewals are available for DVDs.
- Inter-Library Loan (SHARE) books circulate and have overdue fines based on the lending libraries policies
- Reference items are non-circulating and must be viewed at the library.
- eBooks and Digital Magazines circulate based on the eReading Application.