News for Kids...
Summer Reading 2017 is just around the corner. Be sure to take a look at the Library's Online Calendar for free children's programs throughout the summer.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Program always open at Allerton Public Library District. Children from birth to 5 years can register anytime to read for this open-ended program. Sign up at the Library for this national program to promote Early Childhood Literacy and receive the reading log for their first 100 Books.
For More Information or to Check for Cancellations use the ONLINE CALENDAR
Weekly: (unless otherwise noted)
Big Kids Storytime - Mon. 3:45pm (K - 2nd Grade, ends April 10 and resumes in the Fall)
Laptime - Wed. 9:15am (birth to 18mo) siblings welcome
Storytime - Thurs. 10:30am (18mo to 5yrs) siblings welcome
- Get in the Garden! on May 20 @ 10am. Kids can have some gardening fun with Allerton Library and the Piatt County Extension. The Piatt County Extension Office will have facts and information on gardening, both vegetable and flower. Allerton Public Library District will provide DIY Flower Pots to decorate and then plant, plus 2 types of mini greenhouses, seed balls and a sensory bin. Please register so we have enough supplies (217) 762-4676 or email@example.com
- LIBRARY CLOSED MAY 29
- Summer Reading Starts June 3. Register at the Libray starting June 1st and get prizes for your summer reading!
- Summer Science for 8 to 12 year olds on June 5, 12, 19, 26 @11am. Come all 4 weeks of June for Magnet Mazes, Prism Science, Water Slides and Inventions. Please register at (217) 762-4676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer Kick-Off Carnival for All Ages, June 3, 10am - 1pm on the Library lawn. Free for all ages. Enjoy the Challenge Course, games and treats available at our Carnival then stop in to sign up for Summer Reading events and programs.
- Leonardo Music Show, June 6, 10am on the Library lawn for All Ages. Leonardo is a Parents' Choice Award winning family musician writing and performing songs that entertain, educate and empower audiences of all ages and abilities. Performing solo or with the Makin' Waves Band, he brings a high energy, interactive concert that is a celebration of possibilities. With fun props and a colorful set, his concerts are a pep rally, rock 'n' roll show, and beach party all on one stage. Check-out his website at: www.leonardomusic.com Please register at (217) 762-4676 or email@example.com.
- Sidewalk Graffiti Painting, June 7 from 10am to 12pm for All Ages. Stop into the Library between 10am and noon to paint a graffiti square in the front parking lot. Use creativity to paint your unique square for all the library patrons to see throughout the summer. Please register at (217) 762-4676 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wild Designs (Champaign Co. Forest Preserve), June 13 @10am for All Ages. Nature is filled with many colors, patterns, and designs. Some animals use spots and stripes to blend in, while other species use bright colors to stand out. We'll learn about how plants and animals utilize camouflage. Children will get the chance to use their imagination and create their own critters! This hands-on program from the Champaign County Forest Preserve is an exciting way to learn about designs in the wild! Please register at (217) 762-4676 or email@example.com.
- CityScape Painting, June 14 @10:30am for All Ages. Come create with us at the Library! We'll design and then paint cityscapes with paint and potato stamps. Please register at (217) 762-4676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Cara at the library (217) 762-4676 or email@example.com with questions or to register for an event.
**Just a reminder... Children who are in Kindergarten or younger, need an adult attendant for library events. Older children need a contact's information left with the event supervisor in case of emergencies. Thanks!
Booklists for Kids
- Juvenile Historical Fiction List (pdf)
- American Girl at Allerton Library List (pdf)
- Juvenile Graphic Novel Series List (pdf)
- Books on Bullying
- Books on Cancer and Kids
- Books on Autism/Asperger's/ADHD
- Books on Death and Dying
- Books on Death of a Pet
- Books on Ethnicity and Race Relations
- ReadAlong Packs (audiobook + chapterbook sets)
- 2017 Monarch Award Master List (pdf)
- 2017 Bluestem Award Master List (pdf)